Latest posts by Klara Vida (see all)
- 6 Tips for Setting up a Freelance Writing Business - August 20, 2019
- SEO Basics for Business Owners - August 13, 2019
- How to Build a Client Base for a Freelance Writing Business - August 1, 2019
Want to know how to build an email marketing list, and why you should?
Successful marketing is a mix of so many things combined, but if your email list isn’t way up there in terms of priority, you should reconsider.
What is an email marketing list?
An email list, or an electronic mailing list, is a database of subscribers who’ve signed up to receive email content from you. Under the Spam Act 2003, there are three rules which email marketers must stick to:
- Consent from the recipient to opt-in,
- Identification of the sender; and
- A clearly visible option to unsubscribe in each email.
Advantages of email marketing
As Facebook’s organic reach has steadily declined, email continues to be a direct line to subscribers without the noise, or the clutter, of social media. While posts attracting comments and interaction are more likely to show up in followers’ feeds, the catch is that fewer followers seeing posts equals less visibility and interaction. The fact is, it’s more difficult for brands to reach their market on social media, which is why they shouldn’t only focus there. Asking followers to continue the conversation on email can let you control your message and its reach.
Email marketing list building strategies
These six strategies can help you build your email marketing list.
- Ask existing contacts to join you. Email existing contacts and explain why you want to stay in touch and what they can expect to receive from you – whether it’s industry insight, tips or personal experience. Customise every email to each recipient, and include a link to subscribe.
- Make it easy subscribe. Add the link on your site pop-up, Instagram bio, Facebook page, homepage above the fold, in blog CTAs and email signatures. Ensure the user experience is friendly, the call to action clear and check your opt-in isn’t buried.
- Keep the opt-in process quick and simple. There’s a basic rule for collecting email addresses. The deeper the relationship and the larger the exchange, the more information you can ask for. Since email subscribers are most likely new to your brand, don’t ask 10 questions at opt-in. Keep it simple and stick to two fields – their name and email.
- Create a campaign around something free. Facebook ads are still one of the most effective ways to reach a target audience. Content like ebooks, checklists or compelling solutions in blog posts are all effective ways to build your email list. Take potential customers to a landing page where they can opt-in.
- Pop-ups. These can instantly boost list growth if they create a reason for people to subscribe on the spot. It’s why you see so many brands using discounts as a carrot to join their mailing list. Since it’s simple to unsubscribe from a list, visitors don’t have anything to lose.
- Thank them for joining your email list. Send them a welcome to get the ball rolling and reinforce their decision to join you.
Email list management
In addition to the tips we’ve covered, automated email marketing is vital to nurture every step of a subscriber’s experience from the moment they opt-in. What are you communicating to subscribers and how are you serving them?
While automation often makes us think of marketing funnels, smaller details like birthday and anniversary emails all make a difference to brand experience and should be scheduled too.
Email is a way to continue a relationship off social media and create deeper trust through insight, expertise and showing the heart of your brand. Your emails should contain at least 80% value and support through content like blogs, industry insight and free resources, and just 20% selling or less. When your core market has a reason to keep following you, it creates customers who believe in your brand and will stick to you.
Email marketing software
Mailchimp is a robust place to start and it’s free up to 2,000 subscribers. Brands like Infusionsoft are super targeted when it comes to segmenting lists, and seeing what topics are clicked to serve highly customised content. While not every brand’s ready to delve this deep, there are many options to support you at every level.
Email marketing services
Whether you need assistance finding the right strategic approach, or top content writers to bring your ideas together, Article Writers Australia can help. Speak to us today to find out more.